Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Goodbye Brother John

It is with sadness I say that our dear brother in Christ "brother" John went to be with our Lord yesterday afternoon. With those of you at Liberty we mourn with you and for those of you that didn't know him please pray for his wife, Marilyn and his kids and grandkids.


Brother John was the worship pastor at Liberty while we attended there. Jorge and I both got to know him better when we worked at church. He was especially kind to Jorge and became a friend during his unemployment time. I will forever thank the Lord that he placed men like him (because he did with more than one) for Jorge during those tough times.


This morning I was going to post about how sick I am (cause I am, I lost my voice - not good when your kids can't read yet!) but instead decided to post about a conversation Jorge and I had yesterday. Maybe this way I won't forget. But anyway Brother John had given up his post as worship pastor to pursue his dream of landscaping. He did so about a year ago. We also remembered another member of Liberty that died a few years back and had recently retired and was taken home to be with the Lord a few weeks later. I guess we don't know how long we will have to pursue our dreams so we were discussing how we should pursue them now. Although to tell you the truth it will require some prayer before I decide to pursue any dreams because the only one I can think of this very moment is my dream of sleeping in till noon forever... but I am pretty sure this isn't the one God would like me to pursue :)!


As I have been praying this morning for Brother John's family I can't help but think of a song by Marcos Witt called Jennifer. It has touched my life. I yearn to live such a life that at the end of my life a song like this could be song about me. Brother John lived that life so I will translate the part I have been thinking about for those of you that can't speak spanish but will use Brother John instead of Jennifer...


Brother John, you loved him deeply
Please give him a hug from me
and tell him how much I yearn to see his face
although my walk has not yet ended
Brother John you have your crown
Brother John you will live, enjoy, eternal peace
you will be next to him
Today and always you will live in my memories and in my heart
your smile today makes the heavens happy
and your dream is complete in Jesus

If you knew Brother John you know his smile is lighting up the heavens. We will miss him here but I am sure he is singing (or leading) the heavenly choir. Anyway I hope I didn't bum too many of you but it is something I had to do. Don't forget to write that note or tell that someone you love them today. Don't wait!

No comments: