Sunday, October 5, 2008

Goodbye Blackie!


It was bound to happen. One of the 7 fish that were left was bound to die. But Blackie was my favorite. It was the one Adreana picked out and it was a little wierd so maybe I could relate. But a few days ago he got stuck in the filter and lost half of his tail. He was never the same again. Today I found him stuck in the filter again. Twice. So with no tail to help him steer, he said goodbye to our household. Like a friend pointed out he was not the brightest fish in the tank. Yet I still miss him.

I know you are all wondering how the kiddos took it. Benjamin didn't get it. He didn't even notice he was gone. Adreana was too busy playing with her toy from her bday party yesterday to show much sympathy. She did go to the fish tank and count them and I think she decided 6 was a fine number to own. All of this to say I am left to mourn the loss on my own.
I know my mom has to be thinking about that time when I owned a Toucan for 3 hours and cried for about 4 (Jorge thought about it), but this time I didn't cry. I was strong for the family, but everytime I walk past the aquarium I cry on the inside.
Know I remember why I don't like fish. I get too emotionally attached to them and they don't. I asked Jorge if I could take him to the vet but he just looked at me funny. He later said I could get a new one at Walmart for about $4, but I won't cause it won't be blackie (plus we have 6 more I still have to feed and cleanup a tank for!) Oh Well. Really some sympathy would be nice.

On a more serious note... I had talked to Adreana when he got hurt and she knew he might die. We have also talked to her from the beginning about how fish don't live as long as we do and that we will keep replacing them if we must. And I am sad. I do get attached to animals way too fast so owning fish is a tough thing for me to do.

No comments: