Friday, May 6, 2011

The rabbit

This is the story of the rabbit. It is a bit long. I will try and keep it short.

As is usual in beautiful spring days the kids went outside to the  backyard to blow bubbles and play. They came in all excited to tell me to come see and bring my camera. There was a rabbit in th backyard. I knew there was a rabbit.  I had been picking up its poo so Molly didn't eat it. I had seen Molly chase it but I decided to go see fully expecting it to be gone. But it didn't leave it was there watching us.
 
 It was so bold. Waiting and then it hopped right past us to my herb garden. It isn't much of an herb garden but there are some chives and rosemary that came back. It was using its hind legs to hide something and that is when I knew. It had made it burrow in my garden. That couldn't be good so I complained out loud. Little girl was happy at the posibility of bunnies! I was not. We watched it and it stayed. I decided it was time to go inside and leave the bunny alone.
 The next day, a Saturday, Jorge had class. I decided to go outside with Molly so I could check out teh rabbit and see what I could see. Adreana followed me. What we found was pretty dismal. Something I wasn't prepared for. An overturned burrow and 4 half eaten bunnies on the ground. I couldn't bring myself to pick them up so I left them for Jorge. Little girl was sad but composed. I was sad and I said so. She said she didn't believe me because just yesterday I had said I didn't want them in my garden. There was no denying it; she keeps track of everything I say. I explained that it was true that I didn't want them in my garden but that there is something about dead bunnies that makes one sad.

She asked why it had happened and God in his infinite glory gave me wisdom and we had a talk about how predators like eagles have a few birdies and not very often but rabbits whom so many other animals eat have many and often. God had it all planned out and how great is He. We were able to give God glory despite dead bunnies! How exciting!

And because I don't want to leave this blog post in such a sour note... Here are some pictures of fun things growing. Some beautiful June strawberries and a beautiful purple flower from the chives! Have I ever told you purple is my favorite color... well it is!

No comments: