Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Field Day 2011

We love field day! It is a great day to meet up with friends and play around the playground and the competitions. To tell you the truth I didn't want to go because I was tired. We still weren't done with school but I had promised the kids that we would indeed go and so we did.

I am so glad we did because it was so much fun. I was rereading this post about our first field day and how we didn't know anyone. Well know we know a bunch of people so I get to talk to friends as well as watch my kids interact. Every year I fall in love with homeschooling a little more.  I guess God knew what he was doing when he called me to do it.

Both kids got first place in running. After Benjamin won he told me I was running like the wind! How exciting! Benjamin was one of the oldest in his group but Adreana ran against 7-9 yr olds so she did pretty great.
 We still run the 3-legged race together. I think that is what gives us a pretty good advantage (that and the fact they are the same height!) Next year I don't think they will be able to because she might be in a different category so I wanted to cherish this moment (although with homeschoolers it is all about who shows up so you never know!). They won 1st place in this too!
 This year Adreana had asked me for a hoola hoop (our cheap dollar store one broke last summer) and I forgot to go get it. She borrowed one but it was lopsided. But don't worry the next day we went to get one and a good one too. Next year she will be ready. She has been practicing already!
This year my favorite part of the whole experience was watching the water balloon fight. Jorge helped fill them thankfully that morning (as I had thought I might not go and didn't do it the night before like any sensible mom would have done!). What I loved though was that this is the event where kids from K - 12 go at it together. On the bottom photo you can see Adreana chasing a teenage boy with her water balloon. He later turned on her and emptied his water cooler soaking her.  These kids are used to being together. They don't care how old you are, they help and acknowledge each other. If homeschooling would leave us nothing else I would be happy. My kids have role models and good ones too. These kids share their knowledge and lives with those who are younger. It is expected and they know nothing else. This is what my kids themselves know so when a little one toddles around to them they are enchanted and become mini-role models themselves. I hope this is a lesson that will stay with them forever.

No comments: