Friday, January 14, 2011

Museum Field Trips

Last year I had plans about writing every now and then about why we love homeschooling so I could come back and review the posts on the tough days but I never got around to it so this year I am going to try again. and what a fitting subject to be our first post of the year.

Reasons why I love homeschooling #1:
Because I get to learn with my kids in and out of the classroom!

We are studying world history this year and have been talking about the egyptians and then the greeks. When I found out a museum in the area had a real mummy I couldn't help myself and talked a fellow homeschooler to plan a trip (Courtney thank you sooo much for going with us and getting the coupon! You rock!).

I had never seen a mummy so I was just excited as the kids. Benjamin packed his bag with books on the subject and off we went! Like I told the kids: the mummy was just what I expected! :) I mean it looked just like they do in the books but way cooler! They had two mummified cats also! Seriously as a cat lover I totally get that!
Tutu mummy
The cats


They also had a few Mexican and Mayan artifacts including these two:


 

They brought back so many memories because growing up my dad had some like these. The memories came full force. I remembered the smell and the feel of them... so wierd how that can happen.



After a couple of hours here we said goodbye to our friends and we went to the Santa Fe Depot Museum. This time because I had seen on their website that they had some prarie life exhibits and when the kids and I had read a book about a girl that lived in the early 1900s and they just couldn't quite imagine it so I decided we needed to go see. It was a fun little museum with lots of things for us to see including an original Model T car that impressed me much more than it did the kids. They also had a life size paper mache horse which impressed the kids way more than me.

 I took advantage that we were all in a good mood and took some pics and since you  haven't seen the kids on this blog in a while here they are:


my little model!


The good mood doesn't last forever! But I love this pout too!


Being silly!

The kids loved today and hopefully the seeing plus the reading taught them about the cultures before us and an appreciation of art. We shall see.




1 comment:

Wife, Mother and photographer said...

They are getting so big, and are so stinkin cute!